Centre for Romanian Studies

Centre for Romanian Studies header image 1

Entries Tagged as '“Vicentiu Livovschi”'

THE EMERGENCE OF THE ROMANIAN PROFESSIONAL CLASS (3 – Part I) – TULCEA: 1880 – 1930

November 15th, 2010 · No Comments · PEOPLE

Reverend Zenovie Livovschi’s Family at Tulcea, 1884
30-years old Reverend Reverend Zenovie was the orthodox parish priest

St Nicholas cathedral Tulcea where Rev Zenovie Livovschi was Dean from 1880 to 1916

to become Dean of St Nicholas Cathedral in Tulcea. For the young Romanian priest this was a God-sent promotion as his post was granted by the diploma signed by Joseph, Archbishop of the Lower Danube at Galatz:

“Prin mila lui Dumnedeu, prea-Smeritul Iosif, Arhiepiscopul Dunarei de Jos”

His task was to consolidate the Romanian Orthodox church in the new province as the old-established Greek and Bulgarian Orthodox hierarchs were vying with each other to preserve their influence and status in the province.

Spiru Haret College Tulcea where Rev Z. Livovschi held the Chair of Religious Education (1880-1928)

Young Reverend Zenovie was also to be nominated to the chair of religious education at Tulcea Spiru Haret College which he served for the next four decades. His endeavors did not pass unnoticed as he was nominated to serve also on the Bishopric’s Disciplinary Tribunal and was soon to be promoted to the grade of “Econom-Stavrophor” curate-in-charge.

FAMILY BEGINNINGS: “Reverend Zenovie’s direct ancestors were all Romanian Orthodox priests going back to Reverend Ioan of Sudarca, County Soroca (Popa din Sudarca) who built the wooden church of Archangel Michael in 1793: this church is preserved to this day as a national monument in the Open-air Museum in Chisinau.

[Read more →]

Tags:···························

THE EMERGENCE OF THE ROMANIAN PROFESSIONAL CLASS (2) – BUZAU: 1912 – 1948

November 4th, 2010 · 4 Comments · Diary, PEOPLE

THE EMERGENCE OF THE ROMANIAN PROFESSIONAL CLASS – BUZAU: 1912 – 1948
On 24 Jul 1917, by Royal Decree, published in the official newspaper “Romania” nr 169, of the Royal Romanian Army’s General HQ at Iasi: Captain V.Z.Livovschi was, “Granted the Order of the Crown of Romania with swords (Coroana Romaniei cu Spade), with the grade of Knight (Cavaler) to Pharmacist Captain (Reserve) Vicentiu Zenovie Livovschi, for the Evacuation of the Military Hospital nr 3, for having frustrated the enemy from capturing several trains laden with wounded soldiers and equipment, from the city of Brasov, in September 1916” (N.B. it refers to the evacuation from Brasov of 3,000 wounded soldiers and medical equipment during a single night, when the Romanian troops withdrew from Transylvania in the wake of German advance)

On the Moldavian front Livovschi who spoke Russian, was a liaison officer with the Imperial Russian Armies Command, a task for which he was awarded by Czar Nicholas II the Order of St Stanislas.

[Read more →]

Tags:···················